Saturday, January 23, 2021

 I had big plans for today, apparently too big of plans. Life got in the way. Had to cut up limbs from the tree I trimmed last weekend. The kid took it all to the dump for me and subsequently got a flat tire. So next up was changing and fixing the flat. With that done I had a little time left in my day. Finished grinding off the crud with a wire brush and a wire brush I could put in my drill. Now that thing was cool. Really appealed to my OCD and had to stop myself from taking the whole trailer down to bare metal.

I used my metal grinder to take out some rusted screws that had broken off. Removed the trailer jack that was on there. I'm not sure if I'll put that one back on or keep the one I have that has a wheel and swings to the side. Options are good I guess. Scraping it clean with the metal brushes was a huge mess. Fine black grit all over everything. Nice. Next I moved the trailer outside. Well.. I didnt do it. Remember, there are no wheels on the thing right now. I recruited the strong members of the household to help. We got it into the driveway and put the corners on some heavy duty tool stands. I power washed it then scrubbed the whole thing down with Dawn dishsoap and power washed it again. I wanted to get the metal treated tonight so I could paint tomorrow but that just isn't going to happen. Left it outside for a few hours so it could dry and it looks much better. I can't wait to get fresh paint on it, followed by the new hugs and wheels. I'm going with a black camper with teal accents. Accents picked out by Jordan but I'm not complaining. It will match my kayaks so that will look good. The hubs I bought have come in. I got those from eTrailer because they came pre-greased. 


One more thing I don't have to deal with. They didn't come with a cotter pin so I had to go pick up some of those from Home Depot. I also realized my current hubs didn't have a washer in them. I'm hoping there is one in the hub but I won't know until I remove the protective caps keeping all the grease in. I really dont want to have to find washers too but I will because I want this done right. Cant wait to have the frame all done so I can start the actual build. Still trying to decide what I want the outside to be... Monstaline or FRP panels. Also trying to decide if I want to try and build my own doors or buy them. Pros to buying them... much easier. Pros to building them... cheaper and I can customize them more to my liking. I may try to build them and if I fail miserably then buy them. We'll see. For now, just got the trailer back in the garage for the night. Put it in the middle so I can have room to paint it. Hopefully that will start tomorrow but of course I do need to get some other stuff done. Plus my neighbor gave me some left over sod from their backyard project so guess that's how my Sunday will start! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 So I've gotten pretty far for doing stuff after work. Flipping the base was stressful. I had to depend on how I connected everything no...