Sunday, January 31, 2021

 More progress since last post. I got the trailer primed and painted. First I cleaned the whole thing with Klean Strip. It was pretty easy, just brushed it on. It is basically a metal prep for rust. Turned all the rust black and is supposed to inhibit new rust from forming. I let that sit overnight and then primed the whole thing. 

I used Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer. I brushed it on instead of using spray paint because I felt that spraying it would have wasted a lot. Not to mention the mess it would have made in the garage. Let that dry a couple days then brushed on Rustoleum Protective Enamel. That all should have been a somewhat easy, quick job. But in the middle of painting one night I got "the call." The call to go get my Covid shot. You see, I was on a list for the left-overs from the tier 1 vaccination clinics. I was supposed to get it in tier 1 but apparently probation officers dont make the cut to actually be scheduled. So I had 15 minutes to get to the location. Showed up with black paint streaks up to my elbows, paint in my hair, and raggedy clothes. But I got vaccinated. WOOHOO! Also in the middle of it all California decided to play winter for a few days and it rained a ton, was super windy, and cold. Made things dry a lot slower. Not to mention the power went out for a day so nothing got done that day either. Finally this weekend I was able to pull it out into the sunshine and inspect it. It looked pretty good but let me tell ya, painting in the garage under crappy light sure showed. There were a lot of spots that needed touch up. I went around with a spray paint can of the same finish and touched up all the areas that needed it. Sunday (today) I was able to put all the lights back on. And they still work by the way. Had a dumb moment and realized I had painted everything and forgot to rough off the paint at the grounding points for the lights. Had to removed them all, get the wire brush back out, and remove a little paint. We're good to go now. Also put the trailer jack on the tongue so it's much easier to move now. 

Oh I forgot! I also installed new hubs on the trailer and wheels. I went from a 4 lug to a 5 lug hub. I put on 13 inch wheels and bigger tires. Looks so much better! I basically got the biggest tires that would fit on the trailer and still allow enough clearance. 

With the trailer good and ready I cut the base. I used 1/4 inch ply for the base. It took 2 pieces so there is a seam in the middle (short ways). I then build a frame to strengthen the base and that is where the insulation will go. Framed it in 2x4's and ripped those to 2x2's for the inside of the frame. I will also put insulation in there. That took me awhile today because it is so big and hard to maneuver. Also I used wood glue and screws for extra hold. The glue didn't hold like I was hoping. I think that was user error though. I should have used clamps for pressure instead of just setting things on top of it. But since I was working on the ground that made it very difficult, if not impossible, to use clamps. 


I then came to a point where I couldn't move it myself without possibly ruining the whole thing so I had to wait for J to get home. 

We set it back on top of the trailer, ready for me to treat the underside. I had great plans of doing that too but needed a roller from Home Depot. Tried to go get it but T'Challa wouldn't start. He does that sometimes for no good reason. I took that as my cue to get in the hot tub and call it a day. Hopefully I can make more progress tomorrow. I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 So I've gotten pretty far for doing stuff after work. Flipping the base was stressful. I had to depend on how I connected everything no...