Monday, January 18, 2021

 Didn't make much progress today but learned a lot! First I learned that my trailer does not have a drop axle, it has a torsion axle. The one thing I thought I knew...lol. That's alright though, reading up on the torsion axle sounds like a better deal than a drop axle. Also somehow I measured wrong and the wheels are 12 inch, not 13 like I thought. Off to a great start! Jacked it up and took off the tires today. I figure it's a bad sign when the lug stems come off with the lug nuts. I figured I needed new hubs but this confirmed. I removed one of the hubs to see what size it was. Left the other one on in case I forget how I got that one off, I'd have one to look at. Hubs are messy. That's all I'll say about that. 

I went to some trailer stores in Woodland. The first one had a bunch of semis in the parking lot. I figured it was the wrong kind of trailer store. I was right. Went to a couple other places and they weren't a ton of help. Back to Google and YouTube I go. I figured out what size I needed and ordered it online. Ordered some that are pre greased because I really didn't want to play in hub goo. Hopefully they are greased enough. Also ordered some wheels and tires. I bought some 13 inch wheels and tires with a load range D, I think they're 6 ply. They seem pretty good and definitely much bigger than the little guys on there now. I think they're overall diameter around 24 inches... the ones on there currently are 20.  I dont think I can go bigger because one portion of the frame is pretty close. While I wait for the hubs and wheels to arrive I'm going to start sanding the frame and get it ready to paint. I'm thinking about removing the existing trailer jack and finding one that swings. The way it is now I won't be able the back of the Jeep. Feel like I didn't get enough done this weekend but at least some things are ordered and I can start the tedious task of getting the frame ready for the build. I want the fun stuff to start! The part when I can see everything coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 So I've gotten pretty far for doing stuff after work. Flipping the base was stressful. I had to depend on how I connected everything no...