Sunday, January 17, 2021

 So in 2020 there was this thing called Coronavirus. I'm sure you've heard of it.... unfortunately And with that comes a lot of time. Time to stay home. Way too much time. I love camping, being outside, but with the Rona it seems that so did everyone else. Get out of my forests people! I love backpacking and camping but sometimes I want an easier way. Let's face it. Camping is a lot of work. Takes a lot of preparation. So along came the the idea of a teardrop. I've seen those cute little things being pulled down the road. They look nice and simple. Right? I could do it I'm sure. Couldn't be that hard. Well let's see how that pans out. First I read lots of books (especially the one by Tony Latham... a must if you undertake this project) and looked a TONS of plans online. Even bought a few sets. The one thing I realized is there are just as many plans out there as there are ideas. So I got to work. I used things from all the sources I had and I made my own plans. They changed over and over again, and I'm sure will keep changing, but I have a starting point at least.

Yep. Taped my plans up in the hallway. Hope the house doesn't mind because they may be there awhile. I have life-sized plans drawn up of the trailer (side view) and of the galley (back view). I had problems conceptualizing things based upon small drawings. So went actual size. I found lots of things that weren't going to work. I also got to looking on Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, and Craigslist for a trailer. I thought that was going to take awhile because I didn't want to spend much money. But go figure, I found one the first week I was looking. Not that I'm complaining but that meant this was really going to happen! I found what turns out to be an old pop-up camper trailer. It's about 8 feet long by 6 feet wide at the widest part of the frame. Hooked that bad boy up to T'Challa (my Jeep) and brought her home! Well... I didn't actually drive it home because I was still afraid of towing trailers at this point!
The trailer seemed pretty solid. Tires were flat but I filled them up (us Jeep owners have air compressors on board!) and we were on our way. It held air and rode with no problems. We had one head scratching moment when we couldn't get the hitch to latch. Turns out the big ol' spare tire was indeed too big and was in the way of the latch. Figured out that problem and we were then on our way. Eventually got the trailer home and started disassembling it to see what all I had. THe frame seemed solid, no rust and the lights all worked. I called that a win. There was some wood and a big sheet of metal on the top  I needed to remove and that all came off quite easily. The sheet of metal was HEAVY. Might see if I can get some money at the recycle place for it since I have no need for something so heavy on something I'm trying to keep light! Got out my pressure washer and got to work. It is January so I thought my abilities to work outside were going to be limited. But once again California has proved me wrong and I'm out there in shorts and a teeshirt playing in the water. Couldn't ask for a better weekend! So the wheels on this thing are only 13 inches. You see that Jeep pulling it. It has 33 inch tires on 18 inch wheels. I really want some bigger wheels on this thing, but I have no idea about anything to do with trailers. I'm very glad to have some Facebook Groups and the TNTTT forum to post my numerous questions on. Hopefully someone will explain to me how to figure out what size I can fit on here. So for now it's all cleaned up and ready for my next step... removing wheels, checking out hubs and hopefully getting bigger ones. It has a drop axel. What does that mean? I have no idea... It also has these cool flag pole holder looking things. Turns out they were for supports for the pop-up trailer. I'm thinking I can make some kind of shade or hammock holder or something fun. Why waste something that cool! After I figure out my wheel situation it will be time to sand down the frame and repaint it. I'm looking forward to actually building but I know prepping it right is important. 
Wish me luck everyone! Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to post pictures of some cool places the trailer is instead of my driveway or garage!




No comments:

Post a Comment

 So I've gotten pretty far for doing stuff after work. Flipping the base was stressful. I had to depend on how I connected everything no...